Sunday 7 May 2017

Custom Card: 1996 Upper Deck SP - Ryan Hanigan w/ Parallels


I love doing customs, especially when I am happy with the result, and I am very happy with this one. Instead of modifying an old scan, I built this from scratch, obviously using 1996 SP baseball, one of my favorite designs of all time, with a few tweeks. Foil is nearly impossible to duplicate digitally, so that is gone giving it more of a 2007 SP Rookie Edition feel. Also gone is the gold foil border, replaced with a black border, trimmed with gold. Another foil element was the SP logo, which I redid adding the gold faux-foil border as well. The last thing that bothered me was the team name. I replaced the all caps team name with something more normal, and added the full position instead of the abbreviation.



I have been pretty obsessed with parallels lately so why not custom parallels, from older Finest to current Topps, gold is pretty standard.


A play on the old-school wood border, how about a stainless steel parallel


And with a nod to 1995-96 NBA and NHL, a white parallel that sounds boring, but I feel really works  wellwith the gold piping


1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I've been itching to make some customs again but in a creative rut for something original. Maybe I should play around with something already established and customize it a little...

    ReplyDelete